General NewsTop Story

BREAKING: Paa Kwesi Simpson of Connect FM, one other remanded for 2-weeks over Mpohor ‘fake’ kidnapping incident

 

 

 

 

Two persons arrested in connection to a recent kidnapping case at Mpohor described by the police as a hoax, have been denied bail by a court in Takoradi.

They are to spend two weeks in police custody and will reappear in court on November 16, 2021.

The two are Stephen Kumi, boyfriend of the alleged abducted woman, and Nhyiraba Paa Kwesi Simpson, a broadcast journalist with Connect 97.1 FM.

 

 

They have been charged with the publication of false news with the intent of causing fear and alarm to the public contrary to the Public Order Act, and false publication of news through an electronic device contrary to the Electronic Communications Act, 775 of 2008.

They both pleaded not guilty to the charges proffered against them.

 

 

The court however refused to grant them bail despite a plea from their lawyer.

 

114202144556-23041q5dcx-fake-mpohor-kidnapping-case-750x375

 

Background

The report of the alleged case of kidnapping involving a 26-year-old woman, Stephanie Kumiwaa, received attention in sections of the media.

But a statement from the police said checks at the Mpohor Police District Command indicated that no such case had been reported there.

The Police Service thus insisted that the kidnapping story was untrue.

 

 

 

Preliminary investigation

During interrogation, Stephen Kumi told the police that he met the victim on Facebook, and they started dating.

On October 17, 2021, Stephanie called to inform him that she was visiting him but did not show up.

However, on October 19, 2021, he received a call from a friend of Stephanie that someone called on Stephanie’s phone number that she had been kidnapped, and the suspected kidnappers demanded a ransom of GH¢2,000.00.

Police escorted suspect Stephen Kumi to Mpohor and all efforts to locate the residence, family relations of Stephanie and Sandra for confirmation of the alleged incident proved futile.

“The Western Regional Police Command wants to use this opportunity to remind the media that they should cross-check all information from the Command for confirmation before publications are done. The police will continue to collaborate with them to combat crime in the region”, the police statement added.

 

 

 

—citinews

enfransmedia

I'm oheneba francis |Blogger & Broadcaster Journalist. I am the editor and writer of this noble website. I publish on Entertainment, Sports, Politics, Lifestyle, and Technology. Email Address: [email protected]

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button