General NewsTop Story

UPDATES : Buduburam Refugee Camp: We’re not sacking foreigners- DCE

 

 

 

The District Chief Executive (DCE) of Gomoa East Municipal Assembly, Mr Solomon Darko Quarm has debunked rumours that the Ghana Government is sacking foreigners from the country by asking squatters at the Buduburam Refugee Camp to vacate the area for demolition.

The demolition of portions of the Buduburam Refugee Camp in the Central Region is expected to commence from today, Thursday, September 30, 2021.

 

 

According to authorities, criminal activities are on the rise at the Buduburam Refugee Camp hence the decision.

Despite giving long notice to residents to vacate the camp, most of them refused to relocate, with some claiming they were just given peanuts to look for a place to rent.

 

 

 

Speaking with Ekourba Gyasi Simpremu on Atinka TV’s morning show, Ghana Nie, Mr Solomon Darko Quarm said the residents will be allowed to rent rooms around or even far, but will not allow them to stay in the camp.

” The Government is saying it will not allow them to stay in the camp because it will be demolished for another purpose. It is not that Ghanaians are sacking foreigners from the country. If you leave the camp and get a place to rent in the same Buduburam, it is fine, but for the camp, we do not want to have anyone there,” he said.

The DCE said the security council had a consultative meeting with the Regional Minister and decided to give the people two months notice to vacate the camp, which ended on Wednesday, September 29, 2021.

 

 

He said they issued a statement on the same day as a final remainder to the people to move by the end of today, 30th.

Meanwhile, he said the Refugee Boards gave the residents some monies to aid their relocation, adding that the Government of Ghana also channeled its support to the refugees through their various boards.

“The Refugee Boards said they did not even know why those who were at the camp were still there because they had already given them some monies to move from the camp and look for places elsewhere to rent but some left and others decided to disobey and so it is not our responsibility to look for a place for them or give them money again for their rent,” he said.

 

 

 

When asked exactly when the demolition will take place, he said, “The demolition will be like the second coming of Jesus Christ, the National Security will bring the date and that is why I am telling the residents not to do anything that will bring any problem because we have given enough notice.”

 

 

 

Ghana| Atinkaonline.com| Porcia Oforiwaa Ofori

enfransmedia

I'm oheneba francis |Blogger & Broadcaster Journalist. I am the editor and writer of this noble website. I publish on Entertainment, Sports, Politics, Lifestyle, and Technology. Email Address: [email protected]

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button